Gas Safety

As a landlord you must make sure the gas equipment they supply is safely installed and maintained by a Gas Safe registered engineer.  As a landlord you must have a registered engineer do an annual gas safety on each appliance and flue.  Your tenant must have a copy of the gas safety check before they move in to the property. We recommend only fully qualified contractors to carry out gas safety checks and we are happy to organise this on your behalf annually.

Electrical Safety

As a landlord you must make sure the electrical system is safe, e.g. sockets and light fittings and all appliances that you supply are safe, e.g. cookers.  The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 and The Plugs and Sockets (Safety) Regulations 1994 state that supplying unsafe appliances is an offence.  We recommend only fully qualified contractors to carry out electrical checks and we are happy to organise this on your behalf.

Smoke Alarms & Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Regulation has been introduced with requires all landlords to have at least one smoke alarm on every storey of the property.  If any room contains a solid fuel burning appliance such as a woodburner or open fire or where biomass is used as fuel, a carbon monoxide alarm has to be present in the room.  The alarms must be correctly checked on the first day of a new tenancy after this it is then the responsibility of the tenant to regularly check that the alarms are in working order.  If they are not working the tenant must report immediately as a maintenance issue.

Furniture and Furnishing Regulations

If you are furnishing your rented property.  You must ensure that all furnishings comply with these current regulations. We can give advice on which furniture items will be compliant, and all compliant furniture must display standard labels. This is to reduce the risk of fire within the property.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

All private residential property available for let is required to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).  All tenants have to be provided with a copy of the EPC at the beginning of the tenancy.

Deposit Protection Scheme (DPS)

Landlords and letting agents are required to register a tenant’s deposit with an approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme. A Tenancy Deposit Scheme protects the tenant’s money and can help to resolve any disputes at the end of the tenancy. We register deposits with Deposit Protection Scheme (DPS). We organise the the protection of the security deposit and provide your tenant with all the details of the scheme.

Legionella Risk Assessment

It is recommended that all landlords of residential rental properties have a Legionella Risk Assessment completed every two years to comply with the law.  For further information please visit

Right to Rent Checks

The Right to Rent scheme, which helps to make sure that people renting property in the UK have a legal right to be here, was rolled out across England in February 2016.   Landlords or lettings agents must carry out identitiy checks on each tenant before they sign a tenancy agreement.  We are happy to organise this for you.

How to Rent Guide

A new tenant should always receive a Department of Local Government and Communities How to Rent Guide at the start of their tenancy which gives practical advice about what to do before and during a let. A Guide which the tenant must confirm they have seen at the start of a new tenancy.

Mandatory HMO Licences

If you own a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) which is rented property with shared facilities, you may need a licence to let.  A licence is required if the HMO has three or more storeys, five or more tenants forming more than one household.  We can offer further advice.

Income tax

All landlords could be liable to pay tax on their rental income, whether they live in the UK or are based overseas. Further information can be found on the Inland Revenue’s website.  There are tax rules specific for overseas landlords.

Housing, Health and Safety

As part of the Housing Act 2004, the Housing, Health and Safety regulations allows local authorities to assess the condition of the property and any potential hazards. The purpose is to maintain good standards in the private rented sector. We can help you understand how this legislation and how it may apply to your property.